Antigua two days one night Colonial City tour
A rich collection of art on the streets welcome you in La Antigua Guatemala. It is easy to fall in love with this colonial city, in fact it's easy to fall in love while living here. The blue sky feels like a treasure captured for you by the volcanoes surrounding the landscape. Colorful houses, windows with diverse flowers, historic buildings, churches and monuments remain as if time stood still. Discover the so many stories of restoration by locals who decided to make this La Antigua Guatemala their home.
Discover the exquisite and magnificent facade of La Merced church and convent, still in service to the community. This tour will take you on a guided walk on stone style streets around the most important churches. La Antigua Guatemala was designed to be the main city, but after several earthquakes and other challenges another location was chosen, still it remains as one of the most important cities of Guatemala. Don't worry about earthquakes, the past city didn't have the regulations of modern constructions for the region, and the only movement you will notice here is the leaves and trees dancing as the winds cross the colonial city.
Visit other historic treasures such as Arco de Santa Catalina, Santa Clara convent, San José el Viejo, San Agustín and Capuchinas church and convent (above). This place is considered the first apartment building in América. Enjoy the light and shadows decorating the corridors as the day goes by, visit the fountain, breath fresh air, smile, make a wish, Antigua is a treasure we all enjoy, and we want to share it with you.
Spending the night allows you to enjoy the lights on monuments and churches, such as the Cathedral of San José, right in front of Central Park. Explore the Guatemala exquisite flavors: local cuisine preserving traditional meals and new creations of mixed local and exotic ingredients, a true delight. Feel the fresh air while sitting on a comfortable bench at the park or at your hotel with gardens and panoramic views.
Let's begin the new day with a nice and fresh healthy breakfast. We have chosen a beautiful place for you, surrounded by nature and colorful decorations, even the birds visit the corners of the restaurants. Then discover La Azotea and a coffee tour, where we will learn about this industry in the region. Here you can also enjoy didactic and historic treasures at their museum showing traditional fabrics, clothing, candy, even a music museum with audiovisual productions and projections. Grab a memory, bring something for the loved ones who couldn't visit La Antigua this time, walk around the curiosities and colorful creations made by artisans. There's also a special area with musical instruments and dolls with traditional costumes.
Visit the Choco Museum, a place right at the Calle del Arco where you can learn the process of making modern chocolate, taste some and try the many products and sub-products of such delicacy. Now let's try something fresh and even cold, a well kept surprise: ice cream, but with a wide variety of flavors you never imagine such as avocado, fruits just as vegetables and even spicy ingredients.
Enjoy a delicious lunch on an important historical place, a famous cultural complex, it's a hotel, a restaurant and also a set of museums: Casa Santo Domingo. Discover precolonial art, Mayan hand crafts of ancient times, paintings and sculptures. Then get ready to visit the Paseo de los Museos, a set of six different museums, some of the favorites: colonial art and also the archaeology area. After such cultural delight get ready for a panoramic view of La Antigua Guatemala, we are heading to Tenedor del Cerro. Watch the colonial city from a colorful and rich garden styled complex. From this place you can admire the Fuego Volcano, the only one active of the tree surrounding La Antigua Guatemala.
There are museum areas here as well. And if you feel like buying a gift, or just forgot to do so while at La Antigua, feel free to choose among the several different options at the constantly changing expositions of art and hand crafts, a different one every month.
Visit the area of birds, the different corners where the worldwide famous art by Efraín Recinos is exposed for your visual pleasure. Visit the church and the preserved items property of Catholic leader Pope John Paul II, or the historical items and belongings of Miguel Ángel Asturias, world known Nobel Prize. Enjoy the end of the day watching the sunset from the restaurant, or the comfortable sofas nearby while enjoying a nice coffee and perhaps some desert if you feel like trying sweet flavors of Guatemala.
There is more than enough art, flavors, architecture, nature, colors, details and culture in this precious colonial jewel. Come and enjoy them.
- 5:00 Transfer to La Antigua Guatemala.
- 6:00 The tour begins at Café Condesa breakfast.
- 7:00 Visit the Central Park, discover the history of the Mermaid Fountain, Palacio de los Capitanes, Palacio de Ayuntamiento and Portal de las Panaderas.
- 8:25 Visit the Cathedral of San José.
- 9:15 Visit to the ruins of San José Cathedral next to the main temple.
- 10:30 Visit to the Colonial Art Museum, former University of San Carlos.
- 11:30 Discover the convent and church of Santa Clara.
- 13:00 Lunch. Enjoy a brief traditional dance with live marimba showing the regional costumes.
- 14:20 Closer look of Santa Catalina Arch "Arco de Santa Catalina".
- 14:40 La Merced church and convent.
- 15:45 Visit to Capuchinas complex, church and convent.
- 17:00 Continue the guided walk reaching the Choco Museum, where we are shown how the native cacao is turn into chocolate.
- 18:00 Try the interesting flavors of ice cream created by the locals using fruits and even vegetables, spicy ingredients and more.
- 18:30 Prepare for a cultural narrative about Guatemalan gastronomy, get to know the story behind the Pepián, Jocón, Torrejas, Buñuelos, Rellenitos and see how a traditional Antigua chicken looked like at Fonda de la Calle Real.
- 19:00 Return to the hotel, free time so you can choose the restaurant of your preference. We will suggest hand picked options for your enjoyment.
- 6:30 Breakfast at a garden-restaurant, surrounded by natural decorations.
- 7:40 Quick visit to ruins of San José el Viejo and San Agustín.
- 9:15 Take a coffee tour visiting La Azotea. Discover historical items and the museum areas: musical instruments, history, paintings and more.
- 11:00 Taste coffee samples and enjoy the store with handcrafts.
- 12:00 Visit San Felipe church, located at the town of the same name "San Felipe", well known for it's color, market and diversity of flavors.
- 13:00 Lunch at Casa Santo Domingo, we are back at the heart of La Antigua Guatemala.
- 14:00 Visit six diferent museums at Paseo de los Museums in Casa Santo Domingo.
- 16:30 Now let's watch a panoramic landscape from Tenedor del Cerro. Enjoy the gardens, natural views and handcraft market, there is a different topic each month.
- 17:00 Visit the Museums at Tenedor del Cerro: Efraín Recinos, art, paintings, sculptures, Johannes Paul II exhibition and Miguel Angel Asturias Nobel Prize exhibition.
- 18:30 Early dinner? snacks? enjoy the flavors of Tenedor del Cerro watching the sunset with a colorful panoramic view, along with the Fuego Volcano.
- 20:00 Return to your hotel.
Transfers to La Antigua Guatemala on a private transport with AC. The tour also includes bilingual guide (language of your choice), paid entrances to every attraction, ruins, coffee tour and breakfast. One night hotel with all the commodities. All taxes also included.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.