Guatemala Gastronomy special tour
An expert in Guatemala history, culture and folklore, a true professional in the field will guide us across a colorful adventure of flavors, discover what makes the traditional ingredients and food so special, the sacred rituals and beliefs behind every detail. You will also learn about modern variations: low in sugar, low in fat and even vegan versions of traditional food. This tour is for everyone. Expert chefs of hand picked restaurants have taken care of bringing the best of our kitchen to everyone.
Historical monuments, streets, convents and the most notable colonial temples are an important part of the experience. A guided walk across La Antigua Guatemala unveiling history at Santa Clara Church and Convent,Palacio de los Capitanes and after visiting the Portal de las Panaderas (we could call it the "bread corridors"), we'll take a closer look at the variations of bread and sweet creations.
We'll hear narratives about special deserts and candy. Such creations have tender roots on providing you with energy, feeding the soul on sacred dates and also making you smile. Enjoy the colors of the sweet candies and the variety of gifts at the stores.
Traditional, ritual and sacred mealsContinue the guided walk and enjoy a wonderful lunch discovering the secrets behind the traditional creations such as: Jocón, Pepián, Piloyada, Rellenitos, Mole, Torrejas, Buñuelos and more. Many of this meals were part of sacred celebrations. We'll also have the honor of meeting a regional chef, someone born and raised here loving the intimacy of Guatemala kitchen, a pure Panza Verde (green belly, a common term to name the local people from Antigua).
Some stories and facts might sound familiar to you due to the similarities in culture across the region. Still, that's the benefit of having a true expert with us: we'll have explanations of key details and even minor differences that make each meal a local creation, or a proper element of cultural groups. Learn what's the difference of what seem similar meals on nearby countries. Learn about the local elements, cultural mixtures across the region, influences of European techniques and and exotic ingredients. This closer look explains why ancient creations were based on seeds, beans and corn. Be assure we have picked the best places, meals that are kind to the stomach and soul.
Practical learningWell have the chef with us for a direct narrative of Guatemala gastronomy. History is just a part of the tour: we'll be in touch with the experience of mixing the ingredients and the delicate balance inside the recipes, there is a moment for hands on gastronomy and we'll learn some tricks and how to prepare a nice desert, so we can take a little bit of our cuisine with you. This tour is a special treat if you love cooking and the story behind the flavors.
Modern variations of traditional mealsCertain meals such as Pepián and Jocón include pork or chicken, still, there are special creations: vegan versions of Pepián and Jocón, even low fat tamales and deserts.
Historic Center TourWe'll visit the Historic Center of Guatemala City. A guided walk across Paseo La Sexta will let us look at the past and visit the very heart and soul of the modern city. We will learn about architecture and art while tasting different variations of exquisite coffee: a true blessing that brings people together, it is a break on modern times just as tea is part of life in some European countries. Expand this experience with the taste of cacao and the modern chocolate thanks to the French influences. This regional element was of critical importance in the Maya culture, rituals, family, celebrations and even communication with the gods. This is a must if want a closer look to Guatemala gastronomy and history.
- 6:00 Transfer to La Antigua Guatemala.
- 7:30 Breakfast at Santo Domingo Cultural Complex.
- 9:00 Visit Paseo de los Museos, six different areas with archaeology, colonial art, paintings and more.
- 11:20 Visit the Church and Convent Capuchinas.
- 12:30 Guided walk to Arco de Santa Catalina.
- 12:50 Lunch at Posada de Don Rodrigo. Discover the history and ingredients behind traditional meals such as: Jocón, Pepián, Piloyada, Torrejas, Rellenitos and more. Enjoy traditional costumes and dances with live marimba.
- 14:30 Guided walk to the Central Park, Palacio de Ayuntamiento and Palacio de los Capitanes.
- 15:45 Visit the Cathedral of San José.
- 17:30 It's time for bread, visit representative bread stores, and the Portal de las Panaderas along historical narratives.
- 18:30 Closer look to an old Antigua kitchen, ingredients and flavors of the Guatemala cuisine. Learn about the traditional deserts.
- 19:00 Learn about the regional coffee, also about the cacao and chocolate.
- 19:45 Practical learning on Guatemala desert, meet the chef, time to learn.
- 20:30 Dinner, continue the gastronomic experience.
- 5:15 Transfer to Guatemala City Historic Center.
- 6:30 Breakfast, an iconic restaurant in the heart of Guatemala City.
- 7:45 Guided walk at Paseo de la Sexta, get familiar with the architecture of the City.
- 8:30 Try different flavors of coffee at Café León and Roque Rosito, well known places to stop by.
- 9:30 Visit the Cathedral and Central Park.
- 10:20 Visit the once Government Palace, now Museo de la Cultura.
- 12:30 Coffee to go, try the taste of coffee around the Palace. A variety of mixes and regions to continue our guided walk.
- 13:20 Lunch, refresh yourself with cold drinks, natural beverages or your personal choice at Hotel Panamerican.
- 14:40 Transfer to La Antigua Guatemala.
- 16:15 Visit Tenedor del Cerro Museum areas. Enjoy the panoramic view of the colonial city.
- 19:30 Dinner.
Private ground transport equipped with AC. Bilingual guide (language of your choice). A professional (Historian and researcher of Guatemala and it's culture). This tour also includes the special meals you'll taste, hand picked as the best representatives of Guatemala cuisine and traditional food. All taxes included. This tour is only available on weekdays.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.