Guatemala western highlands, landscapes and cities
"The Highlands" and their beauty have turned the term into an expression, touristic destinations full of color, where nature and creative hands of artisans have created an amazing mix, a true travel experience. Discover a variety of blue on a magical lake, and also in the sky itself due to altitude variations.
Visit Momostenango and the curious formations created by nature. Here the greens are even greener and the blue of the sky looks deeper, with different variations in tone during time of the day. We are now in the region of Totonicapán.
In the highlands most Maya descendants are faithful and loyal to their traditions, it is very common to see the variety of color in their clothing. Totonicapán, commonly known in Guatemala as "Toto", is a region of a rich variety of fruits, a true blessing due to our unique set of climates and micro-climates.
We have reserved a special time on your trip for a peaceful encounter with nature. Corazón del Bosque (Heart of the Forest) is a relaxing destination with tall trees, beautiful trails and interesting regional flavors. This is a place where the forest is more than a complement, it's the very heart of the experience.
Get close to the past on a guided walk at La Antigua Guatemala, a city guarded by the Agua Volcano preserving the architecture of colonial times. Enjoy the diversity of colors in the monuments and historic houses. Visit the Cathedral of San José, Arco de Santa Catalina (pictured above), Palacio de los Capitanes and more. This is the second location where the City of Guatemala was built in colonial times.
Discover the location chosen to become the first city of Guatemala: Iximché. Remains as a preserved sacred Maya destination and archaeology treasure, the fierce battles in the place made it difficult for the Spanish soldiers to finish their quest.
Visit Xela, the heart of Quetzaltenango, a modern city with solid cultural roots preserving neoclassic architecture on numerous buildings and monuments. It's a fine mixture of modernity and art along with cultural expressions. Visit the Centro Histórico, where most of the classic architecture remains. Here there you will find a wide variety of options to taste the true Guatemala cuisine.
There is more, visit Panajachel, a town by the Lake Atitlán. Take a look at the past of the region at the Museum (Museo Lacustre, Posada de Don Rodrigo) also enjoy a guided walk on the Street of Santander.
Surprise your eyes with the creative creations of artisans. Colorful fabrics and weaves fill the sides of Santander. Many families of the region make their living with such interesting manifestations of art.
- 6:00 Leave the city heading to the west highlands.
- 7:30 Breakfast at Tecpán, a well known area for it's traditional cuisine and restaurants surrounded by nature.
- 8:30 Continue the journey to Iximché.
- 9:00 Visit the sacred Maya site of Iximché for a guided walk.
- 11:00 Continue the trip, back on the road.
- 12:00 Lunch. Enjoy the peace at Corazón del Bosque among tall trees and fresh air.
- 14:00 Leave Corazón del Bosque, we are heading to Totonicapán.
- 16:15 Visit Riscos de Momostenango.
- 17:00 Try the sweet bread and coffee of the region, in a place decorated with paintings by local artists.
- 18:25 Reach Quetzaltenango Historic Center. Feel yourself at home on a nice hotel, take your time.
- 20:00 Dinner at a representative restaurant of Xela, our hand picked recommendation.
- 6:00 Breakfast.
- 7:00 Guided walk to Teatro Municipal, Central Park, take a look at Pasaje Enríquez and the architecture of the Historic Center and church.
- 8:30 Visit the Nature and History Museum.
- 10:00 Visit to the Municipality administrative building.
- 11:00 Discover Tertulianos, exquisite high quality cuisine with traditional flavors on a museum like restaurant, packed with antiques and historic elements. Enjoy an early lunch.
- 12:35 Leave Quetzaltenango, we are now heading to a blue destination.
- 14:40 Welcome to Panajachel, the town by the Lake Atitlán. Visit the Butterfly Sanctuary and San Buenaventura Natural Reserve.
- 16:15 Guided walk to the local church of San Francisco, then continue across Calle de Santander among colorful handcrafts.
- 17:20 Visit the museum at Posada de Don Rodrigo. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon at the shore. Enjoy the wonderful sunset.
- 19:45 Dinner.
- 6:30 Breakfast with an early morning view of Lake Atitlán.
- 7:45 Take a boat and visit the town of San Juan la Laguna.
- 11:00 Refreshing drinks at Panajachel.
- 11:30 We're leaving Panajachel, enjoy the view of Lake Atitlán from the lookout.
- 13:00 Lunch at Chichoy Restaurant, traditional flavors of Guatemala cuisine.
- 14:30 Visit the sacred Maya site of Iximché.
- 16:30 Back on the road, heading to a wonderful colonial city.
- 18:00 Discover the magic of La Antigua Guatemala. Relax at your hotel.
- 19:45 Visit the intimacy of the Guatemalan kitchen, enjoy a narrative about the history and cultural aspects of traditional meals.
- 6:00 Breakfast.
- 7:30 Guided walk visiting the Central Park, Palacio de los Capitanes, the Cathedral of San José and Portal de las Panaderas.
- 9:00 Ruins of the old church of San José.
- 10:30 Visit the Museum or Colonial Art, former University of San Carlos.
- 11:35 Visit the ruins of Santa Clara, church and convent.
- 13:00 Continue the guided walk along historic narratives heading to Posada de Don Rodrigo. Enjoy the traditional dance with live marimba.
- 13:30 Lunch, taste the richness of Guatemala cuisine.
- 15:00 Continue the guided walk, admire the beauty of Arco de Santa Catalina.
- 15:40 Visit the church of Capuchinas and the historic area of the old convent.
- 17:20 La Merced church, the beauty of Barroque decorations.
- 19:00 Dinner at Fonda de la Calle Real. Enjoy a historical narrative about traditional meals and ingredients of Guatemala cuisine, try the sweet creative options and desert, take a glimpse at how an old kitchen used to look like.
- 20:30 Transfer back to your hotel.
Private transport with AC, bilingual guide (language of your choice), entrances to all the attractions, breakfast and boat at Panajachel also included, specialties (hand picked options and desserts) and museum fees, and all the taxes as well are included. Hotel accommodation in Double Room.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.