Iximché, the last Maya City tour
The Main Plaza and several administrative buildings remain surrounded by nature. Iximché keeps it's colors and beauty with Mayan temples witnesses of the past. Our trip begins leaving the city and enjoying a nice breakfast at Tecpán on beautiful wooden constructions, there, discover traditional combinations of Guatemalan flavors and fresh pure air before heading to this maya site.
A guided walk will tell about the historic events among strong resistance of the Mayan soldiers against the European soldiers. The most intense chapter is a tale of failed alliances and betrayals with a king seeing the city falling into ashes, literally. Tikal was out of the panorama during the new era (abandoned city), while protagonists as Utatlán, Zaculeu and Iximché where the center of important battles.
Witness a Maya RitualIximché remains as a sacred Maya site. People from all over the country (and in fact, from all over the world) visit and see traditional and ancient rituals with a variety of reasons and purposes: peace, health, wealth, and balancing the energies. Also, the Museum is a complementary treasure exhibiting pieces of the past including gold elaborated jewelry.
Ready for lunch? let's head to a set of magic restaurant among trees and local handcrafts. Try the cream, cheese, meat, chicken, "churrasquitos", tortillas, caldos, pepián, jocón, mole, torrejas and other varieties including vegetarian variations. Add some fresh beverages prepared with colorful sweet fruits as you enjoy the sound of live marimba among colorful handcrafts, and don't forget to try the excellent coffee. The colors of the products can only be matched by the fruits available for your enjoyment. This region is famous by the quality of the food, specifically: the chorizos, longanizas, cream and cheese along with the "herrajes", a very tasty sweet bread best enjoyed with coffee, but among the variety, the breakfast is a special treat, come and find out why.
San Juan El ObispoBack to La Antigua Guatemala we head to the historic convent of San Juan El Obispo, a beautiful building that remains in service, once of critical importance to propagate Christianity and Catholicism all over the region. A guided walk with historic explanations will tell you the secrets of preserved pieces, the work of the nuns of Bethania in care of the place and most of all, the challenges and daily life of the complex that remains as a peaceful refugee for the soul.
Enjoy the magnificent views of the plaza, the fountain, and the historic church with preserved imagery, true historical art pieces. At one side the views of volcanoes and on the other the landscape and the panoramic of the city. Few steps from here: taste homemade wine, variety of chocolates, deserts and fresh natural beverages.
- 6:00 Ready to leave Guatemala City / La Antigua Guatemala and head to Tecpán.
- 7:00 Breakfast with fresh food and local combinations at Santa Apolonia or any other colorful option around Tecpán iconic restaurants.
- 8:30 Back on the road heading to Iximché, Sacred Maya site where ancient rituals still take place.
- 13:00 Time for lunch; enjoy traditional food with amazing high quality local products.
- 14:45 Now let's cross La Antigua Guatemala reaching one extreme of the city, and then discover the ancient Convent of San Juan El Obispo. Try some interesting flavors too.
- 18:30 Enjoy hand picked options of restaurants in La Antigua Guatemala for some local traditional meals; get familiar with the stories of ingredients and combinations and as the night comes near, so is the time to try some local desert along with the nicest coffee; an intimate encounter with Guatemala traditional cuisine with historic explanations.
Private AC equipped transport, from and back to your hotel. Bilingual guide (the language of your choice). Breakfast and the handpicked options for dinner/desert (feel free to choose among the historic elements of Guatemala cuisine). All the taxes already included.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.