Traditional Guatemala cooking classes
The warm smile, patience and rich experience of Juan Manuel Rossi well known. Get comfortable learning in English or Spanish the secrets of worldwide famous Guatemala specialties.
How it worksA wide variety of options are available such as Pepián, Subanik, Enchiladas, Mole, Kak ik, Jocom, rellenitos and more. Expand your selection choosing from the sweet desserts and begin. This course takes one day, want more? feel free to ask for specific programs suiting your interest and needs. The Guatemalan menu is wide and diverse so a selection must be made for each class.
Enjoy on every course narratives of the past, stories of culture, culinary secrets, techniques and Guatemala facts as you learn and practice. Juan Manuel Rossi has been cooking since he was 8 years old; Italian with strong Guatemalan roots and expertise: he loves Guatemala culture and cuisine, has been a proud icon on traditional flavors, a judge on culinary competitions and specially selected for his knowledge on local cultural events and food critique for originality on local food.
Cultural details: Cook and Relax Studio shows paintings of traditional weaving and fabrics, replicas of the original huipiles her mother loved to wear, and having individual stories to tell.
You will learn:
- Special techniques for traditional meals
- How to use regional ingredients
- The nature of the meals you are preparing (traditional, ceremonial, religious, etc)
- Nutritional value of the specialties
- The reasons why some ingredients are used on the recipe (beyond taste) and usual replacements if you live on a hard-to-find-items country.
The goals is to learn, have fun, a close encounter with Guatemala cuisine and culture, and above all: allowing you to take a bit of Guatemala with you to share with friends and family.
Professional equipmentCook and Relax is a professional cooking studio. Here all the needed equipment is provided for you. One on one courses are available and groups are welcome. Traditional Guatemala specialties: most are prepared with everyday cooking tools, and some demand special items (provided too). Wonderful explanations are given so you can cook in your country replacing hard to find items with easy to find ones.
Forget the TV show influences where cooking is stressful: cooking is a blessing and lots of fun!. Juan Manuel Rossi has wonderful courses suiting your needs on Guatemala cuisine (international cuisine courses are also available), here cooking with a smile is a tradition that comes naturally.
One day program (for morning courses)
- 8:00 Transfer from your hotel to Juan Manuel Rossi Cooking Studio "Cook and Relax" in zone 10, right next to the heart of Zona Viva.
- 8:50 A warm welcome awaits you, enjoy a refreshing drink.
- 9:00 Hygiene and basic concepts are explained and all the professional equipment is provided.
- 9:10 The recipes are given, explained and: let the cooking begin! (part I). What follows is the training on using traditional techniques and the how-to prepare the meals.
- 11:00 Time for the sweet part of the day (part II).
- 13:00 Lunch is ready. Prepare to enjoy, and if you want pack-and-go there is no problem: everything is provided.
- 14:30 Transfer to Mercado de Artesanías (Handcraft market) in zone 13, enjoy wonderful colors, weaving, fabrics and hand made art.
- 16:00 Transfer to Museo Miraflores and discover Maya archaeology, art and ceremonial items. Learn about the ancient lake of Miraflores and see the representation of the original occupation of the region.
- 19:00 Dinner.
- 20:00 Transfer back to your hotel.
* Want to join the early visit to the market? let us know and join the group early in the morning 6:00am.
Let us know if you need hotel reservation for staying the night in Guatemala City.
All the ingredients are provided. Transfer from your hotel to Cook and Relax cooking studio and back to your hotel in Guatemala City. Located in La Antigua Guatemala? no problem we take care of that. No English or Spanish speaker? let us know in advance if you need German or Chinese guide-translator. All taxes included. Special discounts are available for group of students.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.