Historic Center Coffee and sweet bread tour
Take a guided walk in the heart of the Historic Center of Guatemala, visit the Cathedral and Central Park, the Portal de Comercio and the Palacio de la Cultura. The narrative walk will tell us stories that changed the course of history in these streets, designed primarily for walking and not for the amount of cars crossing the modern city every today, thus, the characteristics of the details and decorations are better experienced walking.
Continue the historic and architectural discovery across the corridors of Portal Rubio and then Paseo La Sexta. Over the last 10 years the heart of the city has been regaining it's original spirit, recovering important areas, restoring buildings and decorations to provide a fun experience when you walk across the streets and corridors: the Historic Center welcomes you to walk again.
Enjoy this tour with a nice twistVisit key places where the taste of coffee and a variety of bread is a wonderful reason to stop by. It's been a tradition and over the years it has become a social time and a delicacy.
The corn has been a key element in the life of the Mayas and all the descendants to this day, the bread has evolved since colonial times from corn made derivatives to rice flour based ones. The bread is a key important element of our culture. While there is an amazing diversity of bread, it is the sweet variety the one that has found the most important space on our daily life, more than learning why or how: come and taste it.
Why sweet bread is so important: bread and tortillas are part of the daily meals in Guatemala, but different varieties of sweet bread had been for years part of special holidays and celebrations. Any special date on a calendar comes with the taste of special bread prepared for the occasion. It is more than food for the body, it's a joy for the soul, gaining over the years the cultural importance of traditional gastronomic food because it brings people together just like coffee breaks, so, come and taste it on this tour visiting colorful places in the heart of the Historic Center.
This coffee and sweet bread tour will take you to a variety of places where both are the most important elements, and the flavors are the essence of the moment. Taste a hand picked variety of 12 different coffees, and try a nice variety of bread. Living in modern times in Guatemala is a blessing: we don't have to wait for special dates to try many of the most special breads. And the historic narrative never stops, even our coffee breaks have interesting stories.
As we walk we will notice how and why coffee time means a healthy and joyful break on modern life. You'll notice there is at least one coffee shop at almost every block. Beginning at the Central Park and following all across the Paseo La Sexta, historic buildings and monuments will reveal themselves and their changes over the years, from mostly administrative buildings, to the present times commercial areas, restaurants and coffee shops.
A light lunchThis is the only tour where lunch is a light meal. You are free to choose from a variety of international specialties to traditional regional food on a wonderful restaurant, in the heart of the Historic Center, but we have a special selection you might want to try, because the whole tour is about tasting flavors, so we need to save space for those moments.
We'll visit colorful handicraft corners, where the products of creative work where mostly Maya descendant families express their art. Weaving and fabrics originally only part of their dressings give birth to accessories and dolls.
- 8:00 Private transport from your hotel to Guatemala City.
- 8:45 Enjoy a morning coffee with a special selection of bread on a coffee shop just behind the Palacio de la Cultura. This is to many, a traditional way to start the day, a common coffee breakfast. Here we'll try a special selection of 3 different coffees.
- 9:00 Visit the now Museum and former Government Palace (Palacio Nacional, now Palace of Culture).
- 10:30 Continue the walk across the Central Park and visit the Cathedral.
- 11:15 Follow the pedestrian zone to the Central Market, the colorful Mercado Central to admire and shop handicrafts.
- 12:45 Visit to the Portal de Comercio, a historic building with a solid past in commercial activities and social events.
- 13:15 Taste the trio selection of (3) different coffees and a suggestion of bread snacks on well known restaurant of the Historic Center.
- 13:45 Continue the guided walk across Paseo La Sexta.
- 14:10 Stop for a taste of sweet bread and two coffee samplers, hear the historic narratives as you enjoy the moment.
- 15:10 Visit Casa Mima, a museum preserving historical elements of the daily life in Guatemala, and a special kitchen with amazing elements.
- 16:15 Continue the historical and architectural narrative across Paseo La Sexta. Visit a Chinese restaurant that became part of our culture and important moments in history: Fulu Sho. Find out why so many stop by for a coffee break.
- 17:35 Visit the Church of San Francisco. Get familiar with the architecture of the Policy Building Administration.
- 18:30 Final stop for another coffee sampler and sweet bread varieties.
- 19:45 Private transport back to your hotel.
All inclusive, forget about your wallet as you enjoy the Historic Center of Guatemala: all the coffee, sweet bread varieties and snacks are included. Private transport with AC for all the transfers from and back to your hotel. All taxes included. This tour provides a bilingual guide.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.