La Antigua Guatemala one day tour
The beauty of La Antigua Guatemala is immense, discover so many details all around, so many expressions of art. (Above the Palacio de Ayuntamiento).. The richness is such you'll always have some place new to discover. Many numerous buildings remain in great quality for your enjoyment, but the most valuable treasure here is the peace and culture on the streets. This one day tour brings the best churches and temples of key importance including convents of La Merced, Santa Clara and Capuchinas.
Grab a picture of the Cathedral of San José (above), located at the center of the city, capture the facade exquisite decorations and then discover the art and sculptures inside and outside. Admire the so many details above the main entrance. Take a look at it's past visiting the old construction (ruins) around the corner. Travel back in time discovering art and paintings on the Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial) former university of San Carlos.
Read the time on a historic clock of french origins located at the yellow monument of Arco de Santa Catalina, a former bridge between two constructions of the same convent (across the street) built so the nuns couldn't be seen and keep their privacy. It is by far the most iconic building of La Antigua Guatemala. Continue your guided walk along historic narratives until reaching a beautiful church still at the service of the community: La Merced.
La Merced church and convent (above) is decorated with rich Barroco details, it's facade is packed with art manifestation of the colonial times. Visit the traveling fountain inside the convent.
This guided walk focuses on the art and history of the most important temples of the city, but there are surprises waiting for you: enjoy local snacks and traditional meals on hand picked restaurants for your enjoyments. Get familiar with the history of the cacao (the primal ingredient of chocolate) at the Museum of Cacao. Have lunch on representative restaurants of Guatemala flavors and watch traditional clothing and dances in the meantime with the sounds of marimba at Posada de Don Rodrigo.
The food!Guatemala has a rich variety of traditional food, unique in their kind. We have reserved a wonderful moment for your enjoyment, a special selection of meals and deserts for lunch time. As you discover this treasures, a narrative in your language will tell you tales of flavors, rituals, history and how exotic ingredients became part of the national cuisine to give birth to Guatemala signature delicacies such as Jocón, Pepián, Mole, Torrejas, Buñuelos, Rellenitos and more, created by expert local chefs born in this colonial city.
Visit and admire administrative buildings still in use, such as the Palacio de los Capitanes, or the Palacio de Ayuntamiento (above). Every corner has a story and different flavors: a few steps of every major attraction you will find coffee shops, candy stores, bars and tasteful curiosities, even the most ingenious ice creams that include fruits just as vegetables or spicy ingredients. Make no mistake, visiting La Antigua Guatemala is an experience for all your senses.
Finish the day visiting one of the most famous complexes of the city: Casa Santo Domingo. Take a walk on well preserved corridors with numerous manifestations of art on the walls and sacred imagery. Take a look to Antigua Guatemala past and the country itself inside the different museums inside Santo Domingo (Paseo de los Museos), showing precolonial and modern art, ancient Mayan ceramic, paintings and more.
- 5:40 Transfer from your hotel to La Antigua Guatemala.
- 6:20 Breakfast. Visit Portal de las Panaderas and begin the day with a healthy meal.
- 7:30 Begin the guided walk visiting the Central Park, discover the history and art of the Mermaid Fountain. Palacio de los Capitanes and the Palacio de Ayuntamiento administrative building.
- 8:15 Visit to Cathedral of San José.
- 9:10 Guided walk to the Ruins of San José.
- 10:00 Visit the Museum of Colonial Art (former San Carlos University).
- 11:30 Walk to Parque La Unión and then visit the ruins of Santa Clara.
- 12:40 Arco de Santa Catalina. The private corridor built for the nuns.
- 13:00 Lunch at only one step from the most famous Antigua monument. Here watch traditional clothing and dances at the sound of live marimba.
- 14:30 Visit to La Merced church and convent.
- 15:40 Visit to Capuchinas church and convent.
- 17:00 Time to visit Santo Domingo complex, along with the six museums at Paseo de los Museos: discover colonial art, maya ceramics, paintings, archaeology, Guatemala history and more.
- 20:00 Dinner.
Private AC equipped transport from your hotel to La Antigua Guatemala. Entrances to every complex and museum. Breakfast, bilingual guide, language of your choice. All taxes included.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.