Mixco Viejo and La Antigua Guatemala
Enjoy the wonderful monuments of two historical locations near Guatemala City: the colonial colorful Antigua Guatemala and the Maya site of Mixco Viejo, also known as Jilotepeque Viejo. A perfect mix of history, archaeology, art, architecture, Mayan temples and catholic churches of exquisite facades with delightful decorations.
Begin the day with an early breakfast at a representative restaurant near San Lucas. Then head to Mixco Viejo, the Maya citie built on a defensive and strategic location. The place is colorful, with medium scale temples and wide plazas on a hill surrounded by trees, birds and a river nearby.
The site was occupied by the Poqomam. The whole city provided a fearful resistance to the invading troops of allied forces, commanded by the Spanish militia of Pedro de Alvarado. The local Maya warriors were defeated after three months and the city was heavily damaged, but remains preserved, some temples were rebuilt. The whole area has numerous valleys and hills, features that were preferred by the Mayas as it made the cities safer against invasions.
After the archaeologic experience the tour continues to La Antigua Guatemala, a colonial city with colorful details of a different past. The Spanish influence remains all around in it's architecture mainly built by the locals. There is art on the houses, gardened backyards, fountains, colorful facades and catholic churches. Here you can spent as much time as you want discovering new details every day. Visit historic monuments such as Arco de Santa Catalina, Palacio de los Capitanes and the ruins of Santa Clara, church and convent.
Enjoy a diversity of regional meals on romantic and charming restaurants, all surrounded by colonial architecture, culture and art. Many travelers from all around the world have made Antigua their home, living here and providing a richer experience of mixes of local flavors and European, Thai, Asiatic and many more different styles on an incomparable gastronomic journey.
- 7:30 Travel to Mixco Viejo.
- 8:45 Guided walk at the colorful Maya site of Mixco viejo.
- 11:30 Back on the road, we are moving back to San Lucas heading to La Antigua Guatemala. Enjoy cool drinks and snacks.
- 13:25 Lunch. Enjoy the local gastronomy, perhaps you want to try the specialties as Jocón, Pepián or the Chiles Rellenos.
- 14:35 Visit Santa Clara, a delightful set of ruins, the old convent and church.
- 16:30 Continue with a guided walk on the historic colonial city, the Palacio de los Capitanes, Central Park, the Cathedral of San José and Palacio de Ayuntamiento.
- 17:15 Walk across the Calle del Arco, discover the Arco de Santa Catalina.
- 17:45 Visit Museo del Jade.
- 19:30 Taste the local flavors and sweet bread.
- 20:00 Transfer to your hotel at Guatemala City or La Antigua Guatemala.
Private transport with AC, bilingual guide. lunch, guided tour at Mixco Viejo and La Antigua Guatemala. All taxes included.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.