The most beautiful Maya cities of Petén
Rich in archaeology and exuberant in nature and fauna, Petén is the home of some of the most beautiful explored Maya Cities. This tour is designed to discover the wonderful Tikal, the nearby city of Yaxhá and it's lake along with Topoxté, the Maya City located on an island. Take a break and then head to the Ceibal site near Sayaxché, and take a boat ride to Aguateca, one of the well preserved cities in the Petexbatún área. (Picture above: Aguateca temple and monument).
Take a guided walk around Tikal, a site famous due to it's history, political power and the magnificent temples inside the jungle on a National Park and protected area. There the fauna and flora make it easy to discover and see colorful birds, spider monkeys along with the impressive sounds by saraguate monkeys (Mantled Howler). Follow the wooden staircase that makes it easy and safe to reach the top of Temple IV and Temple II to enjoy an impressive panoramic view of the Petén Jungle.
Yaxhá is a famous Maya city, compared in scale and great power to the wonderful Tikal. It is part of a complex in the Protected Area named Yaxhá-Nakum-Naranjo. Yaxhá is the more accessible needing only one day for a full experience visit and tour, and there you can also enjoy a boat ride to the colorful, rich and peaceful Topoxté. This archaeological site is located on an island (named Topoxté), right at the Laké Yaxhá. Visit both sites and their temples (Nakum and Naranjo are not part of this trip as they need one full day for each site and a separate long walk in the jungle), feel free to ask us about dedicated tours to this Maya cities.
Tall temples wait for you inside Yaxhá, where you can also enjoy different panoramic views of the city and the surrounding jungle. Watch the Lake from above, a relaxing landscape from Temple XVI. Discover the ancient ceramic creations and tools found in the region inside the Yaxhá Museum.
Visit the beautiful island of Flores "Isla de Flores", the heart and main city in Petén. The wonderful Lake Petén Itzá offers a variety of attractions and numerous restaurants with a variety of tastes, from international cuisine to Guatemala regional specialties. Then prepare to travel and visit the wonderful city of Ceibal.
Ceibal is located south of Tikal on a water rich region near the Petexbatún. Once a powerful city and now a protected restored site home of multiple Maya monuments and temples, including an astronomic observatory. Then we'll cross the heart of Sayaxché and get on a boat for a colorful adventure, across the river we can get the chance of seeing a snake swimming from site to side, regional crocodiles, big iguanas and a diversity of birds.
Once in Aguateca, a guided walk with historical facts and narratives will let us know the secrets of this guarded city, build on a defensive spot. This is a quiet and peaceful Maya site, enriched by the birds singing and saraguate monkeys (Mantled Howler).
Take a look at natural wonders hidden among the Mangroves. As you go deep into the historical sites, enjoy wonderful natural attractions, fresh pools, cool drinks and amazing meals across the north region of Guatemala. This tour is an immersive archaeological experience with the best of Petén.
Night 1 - Transfer to Petén.
- 19:30 Private transport to the bus station in Guatemala City.
- 20:30 Overnight bus on a deluxe unit with snacks, AC, TV and bathroom / WC. Enjoy a nice sleep on board.
Day 1 - You are now in Petén
- 2:00 Stop at traditional checkpoint near Poptún.
- 6:00 Welcome to Petén, our guide welcomes you.
- 6:30 Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant.
- 7:30 Travel to Yaxhá Maya site. The wonderful City by the Lake Yaxhá.
- 8:45 The guided walk begins.
- 12:30 Lunch.
- 13:30 Boat to Topoxté, the Maya City on Topoxté Island.
- 14:15 Guided walk, enjoy the wildlife and Mayan temples.
- 15:30 Boat to Yaxhá, we are leaving the island.
- 16:00 Visit the Yaxhá Museum.
- 17:00 Travel back to the heart of Petén.
- 18:00 Enjoy free time. Explore the Island or relax at your hotel.
Day 2 - Ceibal and Sayaxché
- 6:30 Breakfast at the hotel.
- 7:40 We are on our way to Ceibal.
- 9:00 Guided visit to Ceibal.
- 11:00 Back on the road, moving to Sayaxché.
- 11:45 Take a private boat to Aguateca acros Río la Pasión "La Pasión River".
- 12:45 Lunch.
- 13:45 Guided walk around Aguateca.
- 16:00 Return to La Pasión River, back to Sayaxché.
- 17:00 Bus to the heart of Petén.
- 18:00 Refreshing cool drinks and snacks at your hotel.
- 19:00 Enjoy free time. Explore the Island or relax at your hotel.
Day 3 - The wonderful Tikal
- 6:30 Breakfast at the hotel.
- 7:45 Crossing the gates of Tikal National Park.
- 8:15 The guided walk begins at one of the most visited archaeological destinations.
- 10:00 Discover the magnificent temples at the Main Plaza. Learn why Temple I and Temple II were built to honor Ah Cacao and his wife.
- 11:00 Continue the guided walk inside the National Park, enjoy the local fauna and flora.
- 12:45 Magnificent panoramic view from Temple IV. Watch the horizon and the Petén Jungle.
- 13:15 Lunch.
- 14:15 Visit the Lost World.
- 16:00 Visit the archaeology museum.
- 17:30 Quick stop at El Remate for some cool drinks and snacks.
- 18:30 Moving back to Flores.
- 19:00 Free time, enjoy the hotel commodities, relax.
- 21:00 Overnight bus back to Guatemala City.
Deluxe bus, round trip Guatemala - Petén - Guatemala. High quality seats, TV, AC, drinks on board, WC / bathroom. Private transfers in Petén to Tikal, Yaxhá, Ceibal and Aguateca. Three nights in hotel at Flores Petén, includes all the breakfasts and lunch. This tour doesn't include dinner. A bilingual guide is provided (language of your choice). All taxes are included.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.