Wonders of Baja Verapaz
One of our favorites: colonial architecture located on the center and north of Guatemala such as the Church of San Mateo in the heart of Salamá and El Calvario. And there is more, museums and nature ahead.
Continue your trip surrounded by beautiful landscapes, mountains and valleys, reach San Miguel Chicaj, a peaceful town with wonderful colonial roots, historical architecture and artisan made furniture. Try the taste of coffee, Guatemala has different flavors according to the different regions, or have some fresh fruits of the never-ending season before continuing the journey with snacks on the way back to Salamá. Visit the Church of El Calvario with a panoramic view of the city of Salamá. Then enjoy a nice lunch with some some traditional meals and flavors from the Guatemala cuisine.
Discover the peaceful and colorful Museum of "El Trapiche", (Museo Regional del Trapiche") located in San Jerónimo. This was the first complex to produce sugar in Central América. It helped the economic growth of the region and it's packed with amazing stories and how it was built.
Heavy pieces were put together mainly by slaves of the time. The machinery worked thanks to the water of the region, it was a truly ecological industry. Here you can take a look at different colors of the past at the permanent exhibitions from art, handcrafts, Trapiche history and archaeology of the region. There is also a small zoo with monkeys and regional fauna. Now relax, time to freshen up before continuing the trip.
Take a look at a variety of hand crafts at the colorful store located at Ram Tzul, the perfect place for some free time while you make yourself at home and perhaps visit the bambú forest. These are moments where it's not about a guided walk, it's about a personal experience in the place. That's it for the day, we'll save some surprises for the morning.
Now enjoy log cabins of different styles, relaxing views surrounded by a wide variety of greens, pure nature and fresh air and water sounds thanks to the ingenious decorations of the place. Finish the day with a warm fire and a wonderful dinner, the kitchen flavors of Ram Tzul are amazing. Try local traditional meals, Guatemala specialties, here the caldos (some sort of soups) and recados (discover this by yourself) are truly wonderful.
Begin the day with a nice breakfast, then cross the Bambú Forest and reach the small waterfalls that guide you to the river. Breath fresh pure air. Enjoy narratives of the region as you continue the guided walk, now a hike on green trails.
Reach wonderful views of the mountains and valleys of Baja Verapaz. Such amazing beauty where you can feel the water all around from fine moisture to rivers and waterfalls. The mountains are usually covered by beautiful moving clouds crossing the landscape.
Approach the lookout for a final panorama and then take a look at the waterfall Rubel Chaím from interesting spots from the top. We begin our descent by a green fresh trail. Reach the bottom of the valley and feel the abundance of moisture in the air as every noise disappear, and only the sound of water remains in this natural sanctuary.
Get ready to visit the last destination of this trip, a colonial church in the east of Guatemala: San Cristóbal Acasaguastlán. We are now in warm lands but the afternoon is getting fresher as the sun goes down in a region near the Motagua River.
Let's close the day with fresh drinks, cold ice national beer, natural beverages and some snacks. Feel like swimming? you might want to try the pool at Paseo del Rancho or dive in some Guatemalan flavors at dinner.
- 5:30 We are leaving the City.
- 7:15 Delicious breakfast on a country style restaurant near El Rancho.
- 8:45 Visit the church of San Mateo in the heart of Salamá.
- 10:00 Visit San Miguel Chicaj, a peaceful town near Salamá and it's church.
- 10:30 Snacks and fresh drinks.
- 11:45 Approach and visit El Calvario Church.
- 13:00 Lunch, get familiar with the traditional flavors of Guatemala.
- 14:15 Visit museum of El Trapiche (Museo Regional del Trapiche) in San Jerónimo.
- 16:00 Leave San Jerónimo.
- 17:00 Reach Ram Tzul, enjoy the local store, restaurant and the door to natural panoramas.
- 20:00 Dinner at Ram Tzul restaurant, taste the local flavors of Guatemala cuisine.
- 7:00 Breakfast at the local restaurant of Ram Tzul.
- 8:25 Cross the Bambú Forest.
- 8:35 Continue the guided walk following small waterfalls approaching the river.
- 9:30 Reach the lookout, enjoy beautiful panoramic views of mountains and valleys.
- 10:50 Visit the base of the river where the waterfalls touches the rocks.
- 11:25 We are on the way back to Ram Tzul, relax and recover energies.
- 13:00 Lunch at the local restaurant of Ram Tzul.
- 14:30 Prepare to hit the road again, we are moving to San Cristóbal Acasaguastlán.
- 16:45 Relax at Paseo del Rancho, try the pool!
- 17:50 Time for some snacks, fresh drinks and natural beverages. Perhaps you are into an early dinner.
- 18:35 We are moving back to Guatemala City.
Transfers, entrances, breakfast, hotel in Baja Verapaz (Double room). All Taxes.
* Terms of service / privacy and policies
Changes and cancellations
- Changes and cancellations with more than 10+ days of anticipation are subject to a US$25 penalty (bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations between 5 and 10 days are subject to 50% penalty (hotel fee + bank fee + administrative fee).
- Changes and cancellations under 5 days (96 hours) are subject to a 100% penalty.
- Refunds are not available for checkouts outside reservation date, or if the traveler doesn't show up at the hotel. The hotel is not authorized to make exceptions. Special rules may apply depending the cancellation reason.
- Cancellations with more than 61 days anticipation during high season (Easter Week, Christmas or New Year) apply for a full refund.
- Contact us directly for changes or cancellations, we'll be happy to assist you.
- Please don't contact the hotel directly for changes, cancellations or refunds. Assistance if part of our services, we're happy to help.
- Our websites offer all the needed information regarding our services.
- Our websites don't allow users/visitors to contact other users/visitors.
- We use the only the strictly necessary data to offer you good service / and contact you.
- We don't share any information of our clients with any business or company.
Confidenciality and security
- Our websites provide the necessary technology so visitors can send us information under secure standards.
- Our team members work under a privacy and confidenciality agreement for the benefit of our clients.
- We don't share any kind of information, except under legal resolutions by legal authorities.